I have come to feel a bit territorial over the terms "sleep deprived" and "exhaustion." Mothers are sleep deprived. Every one else is just whiny. (Disclaimer: My three-day sleep total = under twelve hours. I am not rational, kind, or understanding at this moment. Prepare to be offended. Prepare to be horrified. Just don't say I didn't warn you.)
Because our nation clearly has an issue tossing around the terms "sleep deprivation" and "exhaustion" like candy at a parade, let me attempt to set some new parameters to the concept. If you cannot relate to the following incidents, congratulations, you are NOT sleep deprived. If you can, it's official. You are sleep deprived. Welcome to the club, sister.
You are definitely sleep deprived if...
- You are writing/reading this post while eating an entire batch of buttercream frosting with a spoon. Caffeine is too obvious and reeks of trying to hard.
- Within the last week, you've turned to your husband at 4am and hissed, "I am going into the fucking kitchen to grab a fucking frying pan to fucking smash my fucking face in because I CANNOT fucking take any fucking more of this and I am so. fucking. tired." and he just rolled over and went back to sleep without saying a word because it's the third time you've threatened tonight and so far you seem to be making hollow threats.
- You've zoned out for A TEENSY SECOND in the grocery store and upon zoning back in you find your fifteen month old standing up on the seat of the cart leaning into the back to pop open a beer.
- In a desperate attempt to keep from becoming one of those mothers who yells, you've taken to loudly reciting children's books and songs when you've had it up to here: "I SAID A BOOM-CHICK-A-BOOM! I SAID A BOOM-CHICK-A-BOOM! I SAID A BOOM-CHICK-A-ROCKA-CHICK-A-ROCKA-CHICKA-BOOM! Your children are terrified when you start to sing.
- You've screamed, "it's FUCKING sleepy time!" at 3am and wondered who the crazy screaming woman is and how she got into your bed.
- Yesterday you fell asleep laying in the middle of the living room floor with your fifteen month old twins playing loudly right next to you. You woke up to find three sticky fingers in your nose, a thumb in your ear, and two smooshed noses pressed against your forehead.
- You've run out of diapers but because you are too tired to go to the store, you pray that nobody will poop. Of course somebody poops, at which time you are faced with either fashioning a diaper out of duct tape and paper towels or opening the diaper, removing the poop, and re-applying the diaper like it never happened. Since this is purely a hypothetical situation, we do not need to get into discussing the choice that was made.
I think you get the gist here. Of course, do keep in mind that, as stated above, these are all purely hypothetical situations which probably definitely NEVER HAPPENED in my house. But if they happened to you, I think you should know that you are probably definitely not alone. Wink wink.