Saturday, February 18, 2012

Let's take a pro-longed commercial break.

My return to blogging was short lived. I'm taking a blog-vacation while I focus on becoming well.

I still encourage anyone who is struggling with or knows somebody who is struggling with PPD to reach out for help. These are great places to start: http://www.postpartum.net/Get-the-Facts.aspx and http://postpartumprogress.com/.

PPD is treatable and temporary. And far more common than most people think.

So I'm signing off for now...but not quietly.

A few thoughts to share before I'm back laughing about the time I went bat-shit crazy:

-Fuck stigma.
-Fuck ignorance.
-Fuck anyone who thinks this is my fault, that I brought this on myself, or that having PPD makes me any less of a mother. I'm a fantastic mother. I take amazing care of my kids. Their health, well-being, safety, and happiness are my first priority in life.
-If you're going through something similar to me, you're not alone, help is out there, and you can get better.

So with love and lots of F bombs, I'm off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of sanity.

(Saying fuck a lot feels cathartic, and pretty fucking awesome right now).

2 comments:

Ursula Askins-Huber said...

April, nobody in their right minds would think you are less of a mother because you are not feeling well. Just take care of yourself and know that there are many people out here who love you and your family and want what is best for all of you. xoxo

m said...

Hang in there, lady. I'm so sorry to hear you're struggling. No way do I think you're less of a mom. You've sought out resources and are focusing on getting well - that sounds like a pretty sound and awesome mom to me. Fuck stigma. Get help. I wish there were more moms who could set that kind of example for their kids. xoxo.