Monday, January 28, 2008

Today

driving home on this still afternoon
I work to convince myself of all the reasons not to run

it's been months
the roads are snowy, icey, and I do not have shoes cut out for this
it's getting dark

but then I'm out there
slush slips into my sneakers and cradles my feet
leash in hand
trusty puppy of last year, now grown, faithfully by my side

the last gasps of daylight reach out to meet me
and pull me in
until there is nothing else

just footsteps
wind
my breath
my life

I fall in love with my world
and am immersed

in swaying pines
the milky amber shows of dusk
the hint of a season that will slowly roll in

air and sky

not knowing all that I don't know

inviting it in, anyway.

1 comment:

Deb said...

L love your poetry - and what I love best about your writing is that it is so genuine- not forced. You make the writing process look so easy -your words just flow. I love your word choices - I am able to create a picture in my mind. Oh, by the way, make sure you are wearing reflective clothing if you are out running at dusk! Love, MOM