Tuesday, October 13, 2009

This.

Sometimes when we go to put the babies to bed at night, panic sets in. And it's the type of panic that might have once sounded to me cliche or inauthentic. But still it's there. We're giving the babies their baths and they have these soft full little tummies and tiny hands that splash the water and wet heads with hair that mats together and smells like lavender. And I feel panicked that I haven't loved them enough today. That I haven't breathed in enough of their baby-ness. Or made them giggle enough. The sound of their giggles makes me want to cry. It is the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. I panic that whatever I've done to mother them and make them feel loved is just. not. enough. Because they're them. Beauty and wonder and more than I ever thought I could know of anything. Ever.

And I suppose that's how this will be.

Eight months, almost nine, have gone by, and this has not faded. I love them more. Every day I know them, I love them more. And that is not possible. It is not humanly possible. It happens anyway.

And Kyle and I sit on our couch at night while the babies sleep and we say, "God they're fantastic. They're fantastic. Amazing." And it never gets old. Or stops being truer than the day before.

I wanted this more than anything. Would have moved the universe to have it. And it's more - they're more - more than everything.

3 comments:

Daryl said...

Save this post, tuck it away for a day in oh say 12 or 13 yrs from now when they are making you CRAZY ...

Kara said...

Gave me chills reading this April! That is exactly how I feel, and how I suppose every mother feels. Its a unconditional love, a love like no other.........Motherhood is a wonderful thing, wouldn't you say???

They are the luckiest babies to have such amazing parents:)

Sarah F. said...

Tears...beautifully said as always!